Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Senior Art in the Library

I am very pleased to announce the first student artwork acquired by the Armacost Library for a permanent display. Stop by the Office of the Librarian and delight in this beautiful piece. 


Senior Art 2013
“Hyperbole”  
Candice Broersma, Class of 2013


Acrylic, Graphite, White Charcoal Pencil, Colored Pencil, on Watercolor Paper.
Dimensions: 18 in. x 24 in.


More information in the artist's own words:

"This work began as an assignment for a painting class, but became more of personal piece over time. The open-ended nature of the assignment gave me freedom to paint several subjects I had been itching to paint: fluffy clouds, oversized flowers, and someone reading a book in profile, which I afterwards discovered was “Parrish-esque” in flavor. The flowers that had inspired me with their beauty were the multi-colored poppies planted around campus, so I sought out my reference photos from my accessible surroundings. As for a model, I asked the talented and stylish Emily Praetorius to pose for me. Emily was and is a friend, fellow clarinet player, and composer, so I knew I could not go wrong. We shot at two different locations, but the location at the planter between Watchorn hall and the chapel was the winner. Some things inevitably changed from photo to painting, most notably the color of the poppies. This was more a result of technical difficulties than a deliberate artistic choice, although I would not have made the change if it compromised the composition. Most of the painting uses washes of acrylic to establish a base color and then pencil on top to add depth. This was proving difficult for the nuances of shadow in the flowers, so I decided to use the acrylic paint opaquely in wet-in-wet washes. The resulting combination of media is one that I am incredibly happy with. The whimsy of content and texture reminds me of illustrations you might find in children’s books--an appropriate connection considering the narrative of my piece. It is my hope that “Hyperbole” will inspire people to sit back, observe the beauty of the outdoors, and pick up a good book."


Emily Praetorius is a graduate of the University of Redlands with a B.M. in Composition and a B.M. in Clarinet Performance. She is currently studying at the Manhattan School of Music in New York, New York for a M.M. in Composition. 

Candice Broersma is a graduate of the University of Redlands with a B.A. in Studio Art and a B.A. in Music. She is currently studying at the Savannah College of Art and Design for a M.F.A. in Illustration. 
Artist's website: http://beyondthevanishingpoint.blogspot.com

For more information on the Student Art in the Library program contact me at:
Gabriela_Sonntag@redlands.edu or 909.748.8096

No comments :